Many teachers are meeting this week to put last minute touches on their fall curriculum. Some will use the same novels and picture books they’ve used in the past, but some will be on the lookout for new books that will excite their students, shake up their usual plans, and meet Common Core requirements. While teachers enjoy creating their own curriculum, various meetings, new requirements, and weeks of standardized testing often send them looking for prepared activities. When you provide teachers with a Teacher/Reader Guide, they are more likely to buy a class or reading group set of your book to go with it.
Here are five reasons you should hire me to write the curriculum guide for your children’s or young adult book.
- I see curriculum creation from both sides of the equation. I have an Masters in Education with a concentration in Teaching and Learning and over twelve years of classroom experience. I have an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts where I focussed on Writing for Children and Young Adults. My novels are under representation and my poetry has been published by national magazines.
- I listen well and love collaboration. If you already have a vision for your guide, I’ll listen and give you my honest feedback on how your ideas will work in the classroom. I am an idea person. If you’re not sure what should go into the guide, don’t worry. I love collaboration and will work with you to brainstorm the best guide possible.
- I use InDesign, the design industry standard, to create unique, clean, and artistic designs for your guide. With the cooperation of your publisher, I can include design elements and illustrations from your book to create a final document that is consistent for marketing purposes. The final document comes to you as a PDF that anyone can access from a website, that you can send in an email, or that you can print to give away at book signings and class/library visits.
- I am a critical reader. One of the most interesting comments I’ve had from clients is that I saw their book as a reader and that they were surprised and excited by the questions I developed. I bring a perspective and distance that is difficult to find for those who’ve been involved in the creation of the book .
- I am experienced. You’ll find testimonials from past clients on my Creative Curriculum page at this website. I’m happy to give you reference contacts as well. Click on the PDF links to see some of the guides I’ve already created. You’ll find my fees & services PDF as well.
I want to create a guide that gets your book in front of students. Please contact me at annajboll [at] gmail [dot] com. I’d love to speak with you!