A huge thank you to the outpouring of love and support I got after last week’s post. Especially to everyone who reminded me of my strength and tenacity.
I now own this:
Which can only mean one thing…
I have leased an apartment!Pictures to come, hopefully. If you need a change of address for me, please email and I’ll send it along!
Now I’ll be focusing on my freelance work and finding a full time job. I’m applying to restaurants as well. Know someone who should know me? Tell me in the comments.
If you are looking for a NY apartment, here are some lesser-known links I’m paying forward that might be helpful:
- Leasebreak.com for short-term rentals.
- TheListingsProject for sublets, rooms, and studio spaces. Geared towards artists.
- Gypsy Housing NYC is a closed group on Facebook. Great for people in their 20s and 30s. Geared towards artists and theater folks. Especially good if you need a room on an existing lease. Facebook’s “Marketplace” is also helpful.
- The Roomi app pairs you up with people according to the filtering parameters you set up. You can’t speak directly to that person unless they respond to your initial outreach.
- Street Easy is the standard and is a great place to start to figure out prices and geography. The map click feature allows you to say where you want to be when you are learning neighborhood names. (Walk a block over and you are in a new real estate neighborhood—very confusing.) Also, scroll all the way down on a listing to see public transportation near by and past rental fees for the space if you’d like to negotiate.
Edited to add:
Miles walked: 22.5
Jobs applied to: 6