A huge thank you to Julie Kingsley for the “One Lovely Blog” award. The award is sort of the equivalent of the old chain letter (add a few names and send it on) but better because there is no envelope licking involved, and it’s a wee bit of recognition.
Yes, I do take time from my writing, children, and domestic goddess (not) duties to share a bit of myself, my reading, my writing life, and industry news with the rest of the world. I throw my writing into cyberspace and listen to the deafening silence. So I’m happy to pay it forward and possibly introduce you to some other bloggers who post a good blog.
First, according to the rules, I need to tell you seven random facts about me.
1. I love dancing, although I don’t do it much these days. I took dance for years, and was in an Afro-Caribbean dance troupe in college. I’m also often the first one on the dance floor.
2. I was in musicals throughout my teen life both in summer camp and in Junior High School and still sing “Tomorrow” loudly from time to time, if only to embarrass my own adolescent children.
3. I’m sort of evangelical about voting. There are people who died for my right to vote and folks all over the world who don’t get that right. Every American should honor those people by casting a ballot.
4. I row in boats that look like this:
(Top: I think that’s me in bow seat. Bottom: I’m coxing.)
and I’m learning to row in a boat like this:
(My coach sculling.)
and I love the beauty and strength and insanity of the sport. My current WIP is about a high school crew.
5. I’ve been dealing with Patella Tendonosis for the last 12 or so weeks which means that I’ve done no running, or biking, and only recently started rowing again (just as the water is turning cold) and that bums me out. Still, I have my eye on the weather prophets who say that we might get a snowy winter. So if I can heal, I could xcountry ski and that would make me happy.
6. My guilty TV pleasure is Project Runway. I think the design and crafting skills required to participate makes it one notch better than most reality shows.
7. If I had one wish, I would read faster and retain more of what I read. (Is that two?)
And for the second half of the One Lovely Blog award requirements, I am happy to tell you about some of the blogs that
suck away my writing time keep me in the know.
(Pub)lishing Crawl: Great place for craft discussion, writer’s life and industry info.
Writing With A Broken Tusk: Blog of Uma Krishnaswami, faculty member of VCFA Writing for Children and Young Adults Program, kind and peaceful soul, and massively intelligent person.
Mitali’s Fire Escape: Mitali Perkins writes about Children’s Book, diversity issues, the industry, and goings-on around Boston.
KidLit.com: Ah… Mary Kole. This agent and fun loving industry professional does not mince words. Amazing archive of information for those new to the children’s publishing industry and those not so new.
The Brown Bookshelf: I firmly believe that all children should be able to see themselves in the books we publish. This site brings “the myriad of African American voices writing for young readers” to our attention.
PhotoBoto.com: This site posts photographs that are great for story starters, illustration reference, or just to be amazed.
Write at Your Own Risk: Shop talk with the faculty of the VERMONT COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS MFA Program in Writing for Children and Young Adults. Yes, I’m ridiculously loyal to VCFA.
Thanks again to Julie Kingsley. Now all of you, get off the internet and do some work!
6 thoughts on “That’s One Lovely Blog You’ve Got There!”
Congratulations on your award 🙂